The Milwaukee Fire Department's Historical Society was founded in 1981 and is presently located at 1615 W. Oklahoma Avenue in the former firehouse of Engine Company 23 and Truck Company 14.
The Society was founded in 1981 and is a Wisconsin tax-exempt organization whose membership is open to all. In addition to the preservation of the rich history, heritage and traditions of the Milwaukee Fire Department, the Museum & Historical Society also functions as a fire education entity and frequently conducts educational and historical research activities.
The facility is open on the first Sunday of each month from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Admission is free and donations are graciously accepted. To schedule a private visit please call 414-286-5272.
Sunday June 5, 2022 12-3 pm
Sunday July 3, 2022 12-3 pm
August 7, 2022 12-3 pm
September 4, 2022 12-3 pm
Open Doors Milwaukee September 24 & 25
October 2, 2022 12-3 pm
Sunday November 6, 2022 12-3 pm
Sunday December 4, 2022 12-3 pm
The firehouse was constructed in 1927 and remained an active station until 1995 when both fire companies moved to a new location at 2130 West Oklahoma Avenue.
The Society was able to procure the vacated station and renovate the interior to satisfy current building codes. The entire interior decor is much the same as that of 1927, with many displays being original artifacts.
The entire interior decor is much the same as that of 1927, with many displays being original artifacts. Portions of the exterior were also restored as to reflect the original facade and architectural design.
In 2001, a resolution was passed by the Milwaukee Common Council designating this “Bungalow Style Firehouse” as a local historical site.
Among the exhibits include an 1800’s working fire alarm telegraph system, functional 1920’s firehouse kitchen, original furniture, furnished personal lockers, and a host of firefighting equipment and memorabilia, and a library.
In addition to the interior furnishings, several fire trucks are on display.
The Society is very proud to have two original pieces of apparatus built in the Milwaukee Fire Repair shops, including a 1927 “MFD” pumper and a 1930 “MFD” city service truck, both of which have been beautifully restored to their original condition.
Also on display is a 1942 Pirsch pumping engine, assigned to Engine Company 1. In addition, the Society is currently restoring former Ambulance 1, a 1947 Cadillac, which when completed will be added to the apparatus collection.
All four vehicles provided many years of service to members of the department and community.